About Us: The 5 Ws
Who Do We serve?
Our purpose: to serve rural village girls from Bargarh district who come from surrounding villages near Nuapali, Odisha, India. These girls attend Navaprabhat Kanya Gurukul school founded in 2011. The girl’s ages range from 10-17 years old.
What Are We Doing?
We are assessing the needs of these female students so that we can support:
- their dreams
- their educational pursuits
- their determination to become educated women of their society.
When does our work take place?
Our work is currently taking place gradually as we collaborate with the schools founders, staff and teachers to determine funding priorities that will best serve the education and development of these female students. The girls attend this free education six days a week, from Monday through Saturday, 9:45 am - 4:00 pm
We are serving rural village girls from Bargarh district, near Nuapali, Odisha, India. Historically, this state has a high illiteracy rate and many villages do not have access to a free education that is genuinely supporting their growth and development. This area also has had droughts for about the last fifteen years leading many of these farming families to live in poverty.
- We believe the education of these rural village females is vital to creating a community of educated women who will be positive role models and leaders in their villages and surrounding communities.
- We believe it is our duty to ensure that each of these young girls have opportunities to pursue their personal dreams, work towards their educational aspirations, and be empowered to lead their own productive lives.
- We are aware of the some of the negative stereotypes and harmful practices attributed to females in parts of society connected to the culture of India.
- We stand as an organization of members committed to combating these issues that challenge the positive development and empowerment education of these rural village females.